At ASI Waste, we are your go-green specialist every single day of the year and Halloween is a great example of a holiday in which we can all be a little greener! Americans spend about $7 billion dollars on costumes, candy and decorations each year on Halloween. That comes to about $75 per person and much of what we purchase ends up going straight to the landfill. So, how can you go green and save some green this Halloween? Just like with almost every other example of landfill avoidance, it begins with reuse and recycling.
- Make your own costumes. Paying fifty bucks for cheaply made costumes is both environmentally and financially irresponsible. There is a costume in your house right now just begging to be cobbled together. A quick trip to the basement or attic will save you some bucks.
- Thrift stores are a great source for Halloween outfits and decorations. So maybe your attic is not as robust with costume ideas as we suggested. The local Goodwill or Salvation Army might be. You can pick up some great stuff for just a couple of bucks and you’re still technically reusing!
- Having a party? Try to use regular dishes and flatware wherever possible. And if you must use paper and plasticware, recycle all that you can.
- Compost that pumpkin! But, before you do, save the seeds for roasting. Pumpkin seeds are a nutritious and delicious snack!
- Save costumes and decorations for next year. You can ensure next year’s celebration will be a green one by starting today!
We would like to wish all of you and your little ghosts and goblins a Happy Halloween from all of us at ASI Waste!